Pre-Conference Retreat Day:
Practicing Care of Self and Others in Higher Education
Thursday, November 7th, 2019
Campus Center, UMass Amherst
9am – 4pm (with a lunch break from noon to 1pm)
Regular Rate: $125 / Student Rate: $50
In our current political, social, environmental, and economic climates, with experiences of miscommunication, misunderstanding, ideological differences, trauma, fear and rage, the practice of compassion becomes radical indeed.
Whether one is a teacher, administrator, student, or staff member of a college or university, the experience of working in support of students and employees can be a challenging experience. While the educational endeavor is a worthwhile calling, we can often sacrifice a great deal in service to that mission.
This pre-conference is an invitation to join a space with other contemplative practitioners to understand the limits and capacities of our practices to meet the challenges we face in our work as educators.
We are inviting participants to imagine and create a space in which we do the following:
- reflect on current experiences in academic institutions as contemplative educators;
- deepen contemplative practices as a means to address academic divides creating a caring, compassionate, empathetic community;
- explore what care means to each of us according to the ways we experience it;
- engage in practices that shape new pathways toward addressing issues of discomfort, rage, fear, trauma;
- expand their knowledge of how contemplative practices provide access to creative, liberatory approaches to care.
How to Register for the Pre-Conference
Registration for the Pre-Conference Retreat Day is available as an add-on to your main conference registration or as standalone registration. Rates are $50 for students and $125 for everyone else. Financial aid is available through the ACMHE Conference Access Grants.
Regular Rate2019 ACMHE Pre-Conference
Student Registration2019 ACMHE Pre-Conference
- This is a special pre-conference rate for graduate and undergraduate students.
- lodging is NOT included.
- A boxed lunch will be provided and beverages and light snacks will be available throughout the event.
- Learn more about lodging and dining.
- Registration is available as an add-on to main conference registration or as standalone registration.